Pawapuri Gaon Mandir

Published: 17.07.2012
Updated: 02.07.2015

http://www.herenow4u.net/fileadmin/v3media/pics/Jain_Temples/Pawapuri/Pawapuri_Gaon_Mandir_001.jpg

Gaon Mandir at Pawapuri

Gaon mandir or 'the village temple' marks the spot where Lord Mahavira breathed his last. It is said that this temple was built by King Nandivardhan, elder brother of Lord Mahavira. It is at this spot where the Lord addressed his last preachings our “updesha”. This “updesha” was supposed to be attended by many people, from across the country and from different walks of life. Knowing that his end was not far, Mahavira started his last “updesha”. He continued to preach till he gained “Nirvana”. Unable to bear the loss of the Lord all the people present there illuminated “diyas” (lamps) fuelled by ghee to lighten the atmosphere of sorrow. This tradition has continued till day.

Gaon mandir has a big compound along with a huge Dharamshala with all the neccessary basic amneties catering to the comfort of the pilgrims. The dedicatory stone of the temple records the restoration of Pawapuri during the reign of Emperor Shah Jahan in 1641 AD by Swetambar Sangh of Bihar under Acharya Jina Raja Suri.

Name:
Gaon Mandir
Location:
Pawapuri
Dedicated to:
Mahavira
Adress:
Shri Jain Swetambar Bhandar Tirth,
P.O. Pavapuri - 803115, District Nalanda
Bihar, India
Phone no.:
06112 274736
Website:
www.pawapuritirth.org


 

Location of Gaon Mandir:


View larger map

References

Share this page on:
Page glossary
Some texts contain  footnotes  and  glossary  entries. To distinguish between them, the links have different colors.
  1. Acharya
  2. Bihar
  3. Ghee
  4. Jina
  5. Mahavira
  6. Mandir
  7. Nalanda
  8. Pavapuri
  9. Pawapuri
  10. Sangh
  11. Swetambar
  12. Tirth
Page statistics
This page has been viewed 1560 times.
© 1997-2020 HereNow4U, Version 4.04
Home
About
Contact us
Disclaimer
Social Networking

HN4U Deutsche Version
Today's Counter: